PhD (Chemistry)Research Interests
- Tumor Biology, Regulation of Gene Expression,
- Targeted Drug Delivery, Angiogenesis
- Cancer Stem Cells, Chemical Biology and Nanotechnology.
- “Determination of biofilm pharmaco dynamics of newly formulated, nano-conjugated antibiotics to optimize treatment and dosing of chronic, antibiotic-resistant biofilm”, Funded by ICMR, Govt. of India, 2020-2023.
- ‘Multipronged approach for pre-clinical assessment of novel curcumin formulations as drugs for breast cancer therapy’’, Funded by DBT, Govt. of India, 2020-2023.
- ‘Multi-Omics analysis to decipher mechanism of hormone resistance in Breast cancer’’, Funded by DBT, Govt. of India, 2017-2022.
Director R&D, KIIT DU
Awards & Honours
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize in Biological Sciences, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi, Govt. of India, 2004
- National Bioscience Award for Career Development, Dept. of Biotechnology (DBT), New Delhi, Govt. of India, 2003-04
- Fellows Award for Research Excellence (FARE) from The National Institutes of Health (NIH), Bethesda, Maryland, USA (1997)
- International Award for an outstanding achievement in Oncology, Greece, 2007
- Platinum Jubilee Award Lecture, 99th Indian Science Congress Association, KIIT, Bhubaneswar, 2012
- International Young Investigator Award, 5th Mayo Clinic Angiogenesis Symposium, USA 2012
- 7th National Grassroots Innovation Award-2013, Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi, 2013.
- Adjunct Visiting Professor, Curtin University, Perth, Australia (2017-2020)
- NASI Platinum Jubilee Senior Scientist Fellowships 2020
- Selected to receive Shri R.J. Kinariwala Research Award for lifetime Research Achievement in Cancer Research from (GCRI), India, 2020
- The International Journal of Oncology, Greece has selected to publish his lifetime work as an Autobiography & Career Achievements as Editorial Academy Member of this Journal in 2020.
- Member of New York Academy of Sciences, USA (2000-2001)
- Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, India (2003)
- Member of Guha Research Conference (GRC) (2003)
- Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences (2006)
- Member of American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, USA (2006)
- Editorial Board Member of Current Molecular Medicine, USA (2006)
- Editorial Board Member of Molecular Medicine Reports, Greece (2007)
- Editorial Board Member of The Open Cancer Journal (2009)
- Senior Editorial Board Member of American Journal of Cancer Research (2011)
- Associate Editor, J. of Cancer Metastasis and Treatment (2015- )
- Associate Editor, Molecular Cancer (IF: 10.69) (2015- )
1. Rangaswami H, Bulbule A and Kundu GC: Osteopontin: role in cell signaling and cancer progression. Trends in Cell Biol. 16 (2), 79-87, 2006.(I.F. 11.5)
2. Chakraborty G, Jain S and Kundu GC:Osteopontin promotes VEGF dependent breast tumor growth and angiogenesis via autocrine and paracrine mechanisms. Cancer Res. 68 (1),152-161, 2008.
3. Jain S, Chakraborty G, Raja R, Kale S, and Kundu GC: Prostaglandin E2 regulates tumor angiogenesis in prostate cancer. Cancer Res, 68(19):7750–7759, 2008.
4. Kumar V, Behera R, Lohite K, Karnik S and Kundu GC: p38 Kinase is Crucial for Osteopontin-induced Furin Expression that Supports Cervical Cancer Progression. Cancer Research, 70 (24), 10381-10391, 2010.
5. Raja R, Kale S, Thorat D, Gowrishankar S, Lohite K, Mane A, Karnik S, Kundu GC:Hypoxia driven osteopontin contributes to breast tumor progression through modulation of HIF1α-mediated VEGF dependent angiogenesis.Oncogene. 2014 Apr 17;33(16):2053-64. doi: 10.1038/onc.2013.171. Epub 2013 Jun 3.
6. Kale S, Raja R, Thorat D, Gowrishankar S, Patil TV and Kundu GC: Osteopontin signaling upregulates cyclooxygenase-2 expression in tumor-associated macrophages leading to enhanced angiogenesis and melanoma growth via α9β1 integrin. Oncogene. 2014 May 1;33(18):2295-306. doi: 10.1038/onc.2013.184. Epub 2013 Jun 3.
7. Mishra R, Thorat D, SoundararajanG, PradhanSJ, ChakrabortyG, LohiteK, KarnikS and G C KunduGC: Semaphorin 3A upregulates FOXO 3a-dependent MelCAM expression leading to attenuation of breast tumor growth and angiogenesis. Oncogene. 2015 Mar 19;34(12):1584-95. doi: 10.1038/onc.2014.79. Epub 2014 Apr 14.
8. Kumar D, Kumar S, Gorain M, Tomar D, Patil HS, Radharani NNV, Kumar TVS, Patil TV, Thulasiram HV, Kundu GC. Notch1-MAPK Signaling Axis Regulates CD133+ Cancer Stem Cell-Mediated Melanoma Growth and Angiogenesis. J Invest Dermatol. 2016 Dec;136(12):2462-2474. doi: 10.1016/j.jid.2016.07.024. Epub 2016 Jul 29. PMID: 27476721.
9. Kumar D, Gorain M, Kundu G, Kundu GC. Therapeutic implications of cellular and molecular biology of cancer stem cells in melanoma. Mol Cancer. 2017;16(1):7. doi:10.1186/s12943-016-0578-3.]
10. Butti R, Das S, Gunasekaran VP, Yadav AS, Kumar D, Kundu GC. Receptor tyrosine kinases (RTKs) in breast cancer: signaling, therapeutic implications and challenges. Mol Cancer. 2018;17(1):34. doi:10.1186/s12943-018-0797-x.
11. Yadav AS, Radharani NNV, Gorain M, Bulbule A, Shetti D, Roy G, Baby T, Kundu GC. RGD functionalized chitosan nanoparticle mediated targeted delivery of raloxifene selectively suppresses angiogenesis and tumor growth in breast cancer [published online ahead of print, 2020 May 6]. Nanoscale. 2020;10.1039/c9nr10673a. doi:10.1039/c9nr10673a.