- Phytostabilization of mine tailings in the Sukinda chromite mining area: development and optimization of a PGPR (plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria) assisted technology, funded by Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India.
- Functional Characterization of peroxisomal polyamine oxidase mediated abiotic stress tolerance in rice, Funded by Scientific and Engineering research council (SERB), Govt. of India. Polyamines (PAs) are organic compounds having two or more amino groups. In plants they are suggested to play important role in embryogenesis, cell division, organogenesis, flowering, senescence, and also in responses to environmental stresses. Polyamine oxidases (PAO) are the class of enzymes having a crucial role in PA homeostasis in cell. PA metabolism in plant leads to production of hydrogen peroxide, which in turn produces reactive oxygen species (ROS). Peroxisomes are known to be one of the nodal centres (apart from mitochondria and chloroplast) for ROS homeostasis in cell, hence in this project we intend to study the role of peroxisomal PAO is abiotic stress acclimation.
- Development of Novel Electromagnetic Wave Based Rapid Tissue Fixation and Processing Device: A biotechnology Ignition Grant (BIG) Scheme, funded by Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC), DBT, Govt. of India.
- Development of TiO2 Nano-particles Impregnated Surgical Silk Suture - A Novel Approach: A biotechnology Ignition Grant (BIG) Scheme, funded by Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC), DBT, Govt. of India.
- Matricaria Chamomilla L. (Chamomile) Nanosphere in the treatment of skin hyperpigmentation-A novel approach with stem cells extracts: A biotechnology Ignition Grant (BIG) Scheme, funded by Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC), DBT, Govt. of India
Training and Placement coordinatorAwards & Honours
- YGGDRASIL (IS-MOBIL) Fellowship: Sept 2010-May 2011, Awarded by Research Council of Norway, Govt. of Norway, to work at Center for Organelle Research, University of Stavanger, Norway.
- National Eligibility Test (NET) December 2002: Awarded jointly by University Grants Commission (UGC), Government of India and Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Govt. of India.
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE): Qualified, GATE 2002, Percentile score 96.42, All India Rank: 90; awarded by Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, Govt. of India.
- National Scholarship under Center of Advance Study in Botany for the academic year 2001-2002 and 2002-2003, awarded by University of Delhi, Delhi, India.
Popular Science projects with KIIT International School
• Sasmita Mishra, Kim Spaccarotella, Jaclyn Gido, Ishita Samanta and Gopal Chowdhary (2023). Effects of Heat Stress on Plant-Nutrient Relations: An Update on Nutrient Uptake, Transport, and Assimilation. Int. J. Mol. Sci, Vol – 24, 15670, 27th October 2023, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms242115670 , IF -5.6.
• Arka Mukhopadhyay, Abikshyeet Panda, Pallavi Mishra, Gopal Chowdhary, Aishwariya Mohanty, Pravudeva D. Sahoo (2023) Comparative immunohistochemical analysis of WT‑1, Syndecan and Snail in Ameloblastoma and odontogenic keratocyst: A retrospective study. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Vol. 27, no. 2: 295-301. April 1st 2023, DOI: 10.4103/jomfp.jomfp_301_22,
• Ishita Samanta, Shweta Chaturvedi, Pamela Chanda Roy and Gopal Chowdhary (2023). Molecular cloning, subcellular localization, and abiotic stress induction analysis of a polyamine oxidase gene from Oryza sativa. Int. J. of Agronomy, Vol. 2023: 1-9, Article ID 5686484, April 17, 2023, https://doi.org/10.1155/2023/5686484
• Ishita Samanta, Pamela Chanda Roy, Eshani Das, Sasmita Mishra, and Gopal Chowdhary (2023). Plant Peroxisomal Polyamine Oxidase: A Ubiquitous Enzyme Involved in Abiotic Stress Tolerance. Plants 12, no. 3: 652. February 1st 2023, https://doi.org/10.3390/plants12030652.
• Pamela Chanda Roy, Gopal Chowdhary (2023) Molecular cloning of glutathione reductase from Oryza sativa, demonstrating its peroxisomal localization and upregulation by abiotic stresses. Acta Biochimica Polonica, 2023 Jan 8. doi: 10.18388/abp.2020_6441. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36617358.
• Berhanu Girma, Ananta N. Panda, Pamela Chanda Roy, Lopamudra Ray, Sasmita Mohanty, Gopal Chowdhary (2022) Molecular, biochemical, and comparative genome analysis of a rhizobacterial strain Klebsiella Sp. KBG6.2 imparting salt stress tolerance to Oryza sativa L.; Environmental and Experimental Botany, 203 Article number 105066. 5th September 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envexpbot.2022.105066.
• Sabiha Tarafdar and Gopal Chowdhary (2022) Translating the Arabidopsis thaliana Peroxisome Proteome insights to Solanum lycopersium: Consensus versus Diversity; Frontiers in cell and Developmental Biology; 10, Article number 909604, https://doi.org/10.3389/fcell.2022.909604
• Madhurima Chatterjee, Jyoti Yadav, Maniraj Rathinam, Kesiraju Karthik, Gopal Chowdhary, Rohini Sreevathsa, Uma Rao (2022) Amenability of Maruca vitrata (Lepidoptera: Crambidae) to gene silencing through exogenous administration and host-delivered dsRNA in pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan L.); Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants, epub ahead of print, 28 (1), 189-202. Feb 2 2022. Doi: 10.1007/s12298-022-01133-3. ISSN - 0974-0430/0971-5894
• Pamela Chanda Roy, Shweta Chaturvedi, Ishita Samanta, Gopal Chowdhary, (2021) Effect of abiotic stress on polyamine oxidase activities in rice; Int. J. Botany Stud., 6 (6):445-449 (corresponding author). Doi: https://www.botanyjournals.com/archives/2021/vol6/issue6/6-5-307. ISSN - 2455-541X
• Madhurima Chatterjee, Jyoti Yadav, Maniraj Rathinam, Abhishek Mandal, Gopal Chowdhary, Rohini Sreevathsa, Uma Rao (2021) Exogenous administration of dsRNA for the demonstration of RNAi in Maruca vitrata (lepidoptera: crambidae); 3Biotech., 11 (4), 197. ISSN: 2190-5738, doi: 10.1007/s13205-021-02741-8.
• Berhanu Girma, Ananta N. Panda, Sasmita Mohanty, Lopamudra Ray, Gopal Chowdhary, (2020) Draft Genome Sequence of the Plant Growth-Promoting Rhizobacterium Klebsiella sp. Strain KBG6.2, Imparting Salt Tolerance to Rice; Micro Res Announcement., 9: 35. 10.1128/MRA.00491-20. (corresponding author). doi: 10.1128/MRA.00491-20
• S. Reumann and G. Chowdhary (2018): Prediction of Peroxisomal Matrix Proteins in Plants. Subcell Biochem.;89:125-138.
• Chowdhary, G. and Lingner T. (2016) Characterization, prediction andevolution of plant peroxisomal targeting signals type 1 (PTS1s) Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) -Molecular Cell Research 1863, 790–803.
• Skoulding, NS, Chowdhary, G, Deus MJ, Baker, A Reumann S, Warriner, SL (2015) Experimental Validation of Plant Peroxisomal Targeting Prediction Algorithms by Systematic Comparison of in Vivo Import Efficiency and in Vitro PTS1 Binding Affinity, J. Mol Biol. .13;427(5):1085-101
• Chowdhary G., Kataya, ARA, Lingner, T and Reumann (2012) Non-Canonical Peroxisome Targeting Signals: Identification of Novel PTS1 Tripeptides and Characterization of Enhancer Elements by Computational Permutation Analysis; BMC Plant Biol., 11; 12(1):142.
• Chowdhary, G and Kundu CN (2012) Induction of a C-Repeat Binding Factor Gene by Calcium to resist Low Temperature stress in rice: Int. J. Plant Physiol. Biochem., (6) 142-145.
• Deswal, R, Chowdhary, G and Sopory SL (2004) Purification and characterization of a PMA stimulated kinase and identification of PMA induced phosphorylation of a polypeptide that is dephosphorylated by low temperature in Brassica juncea,. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 322: 420-427.
Chowdhary G and Reumann S Prediction of Peroxisomal Matrix Proteins in Plants (2019) in the book: Proteomics of Peroxisomes
Sharma P, Chowdhary G, Parveen, I, Bhanu, Kumar P and Deswal R (2008) A step towards growing crops where no crops grow : fishing out targets for manipulation of low temperature stress signaling pathways in plants (2008) Book : n book: Utilization of Biotechnology in Plant Sciences