As PI: Experimental evolution of thermal plasticity of body and organ size in Drosophila melanogaster, under Women Scientist Scheme A (WOS-A) scheme, DST, Govt. of India, 2017-2020Administrative Responsibility
Academic coordinatorAwards & Honours
DST Women Scientist A FellowshipMemberships
- Genetics Society of America
- Indian Society of Evolutionary Biologists Evolutionary
Apart from my research, I love reaching out to the general audience and write popular science articles about Evolution and my research. Here are two invited popular science articles about my work. The third one is a coverage of one of my papers.
- Ghosh SM. 2020. Witnessing Evolution as It Happens. https://azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/SitePages/resources-i-wonder-issue-4-witnessing-evolution.aspx
- Ghosh SM 2013. Phenotypic Plasticity & Evolution.
- Stead, Nicola. 2013. ""How Big is Big Enough? O2's Role in Sensing Body Size."" The Journal of Experimental Biology 216.23 (2013): ii-ii.
1. Ghosh, S. M.*, Satish, K. M., Jayaram, M., & Joshi, A. (2019). Does Long-Term Selection for Development Time Result in Canalization: A Test Using Drosophila melanogaster. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 7.
* co-corresponding author
2. McDonald, J. M. C.^, Ghosh, S. M. ^, Gascoigne, S. J. L., & Shingleton, A. W. (2018). Plasticity Through Canalization: The Contrasting Effect of Temperature on Trait Size and Growth in Drosophila. Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology, 6. ^joint first author
3. Callier, V., Shingleton, A. W., Brent, C. S., Ghosh, S. M., Kim, J., & Harrison, J. F. (2013). The role of reduced oxygen in the developmental physiology of growth and metamorphosis initiation in Drosophila melanogaster. Journal of Experimental Biology, 216(23), 4334–4340.
4. Ghosh, S. M. *, Testa, N. D., & Shingleton, A. W. (2013). Temperature-size rule is mediated by thermal plasticity of critical size in Drosophila melanogaster. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 280(1760), 20130174–20130174. *corresponding author
5. Testa, N. D., Ghosh, S. M., & Shingleton, A. W. (2013). Sex-Specific Weight Loss Mediates Sexual Size Dimorphism in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE, 8(3), e58936.
6. Ghosh, S. M. *, & Joshi, A. (2012). Evolution of reproductive isolation as a by-product of divergent life-history evolution in laboratory populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Ecology and Evolution, 2(12), 3214–3226. * corresponding author
7. Ghosh, S. M., Satish, K. M., Mohan, J., Dey, S., Raghavendra, N., Shakarad, M., & Joshi, A. (2009). A possible tradeoff between developmental rate and pathogen resistance in Drosophila melanogaster. Journal of Genetics, 88(2), 253–256.
8. Ghosh, S., & Bharathi, N. S. (2004). Immunocompetence in Drosophila: Linking genetic to phenotypic variation. Journal of Genetics, 83(1), 7–8.